Hand Tools

Subject:
Re: *** SURVEY: THE IDES OF MARCH ***

Chuck Bjorgen
I'm fortunate to have an adult son living with my wife and me so I know a lot of what I have in the way of tools will be passed on to him. Yet, his main interest is entertaining the bass on nearby lakes, so much of what I have done in the way of hand plane and other tool restoration is only vaguely understood by him. He does appreciate my recent efforts to convert to a mainly hand tool shop though.

Having said that I have been in the process of simplifying my acquisition of these tools so he won't have to deal with selling off stuff for which he may not appreciate their value. I have recently disposed of several hand planes, chisels and of course my contractor table saw and dust collection unit. I still have a power jointer and thickness planer taking up space in my garage. I'll probably try to move those too.

In my 12 x 14 basement shop still sit a band saw and drill press. I'll keep those. My cluttered small Sjoberg work bench is barely suitable but I've had it for nearly 20 years and I'll stick with it. A midi lathe and its accompanying utility cart also swallow considerable room.

One thing I know is that my son is an orginazation hound so the shop will be in much better shape after I'm gone.

© 1998 - 2017 by Ellis Walentine. All rights reserved.
No parts of this web site may be reproduced in any form or by
any means without the written permission of the publisher.

WOODCENTRAL, P.O. BOX 493, SPRINGTOWN, PA 18081