Classifieds

Subject:
Three Mosaku Planes—80mm, 60mm, 48mm

Wiley Horne
Three planes for sale as a group for $650. If you want an individual plane, but not all three, post your interest here or email me. The group price is good through August 30. If the planes have not sold as a group by that date, the group will be split up, and individual planes will go to whoever has posted or contacted me first with an offer. Express your interest at any time. Prices for individual planes, if there is no group sale:

80mm.......$300
60mm...... 250
48mm..... 200

All prices are ‘delivered’—I pay shipping. Paypal preferred. If no Paypal account, contact me and we’ll figure something out. Guarantee: If you are not satisfied, or just changed your mind, you may return the plane(s) to me for a refund of your purchase price. No questions asked.

Photos are at this link,

https://www.flickr.com/photos/78661951@N07/albums/72157710399190626

The bladesmith is Kikuo Kanda, based in Tokyo, who uses the brand name Mosaku (‘my work’). These planes (kanna) were purchased from Hiraide America (Harrelson Stanley) some 10 years ago, and have been little used. I believe the irons are blue steel. Each plane is bedded at 40 degrees; each main blade is flat-beveled and honed at 25 degrees (by jig). The dai’s are set up for 2-point touch—front of mouth and leading edge (toe). Dai’s are Japanese red oak. They are very stable, and have not moved in at least 10 years in our mild, dry climate. The subblades (chipbreakers) are a rounded 45-50 degrees.

Cautions: The reason the planes are little used is that I have never been able to set the chipbreaker properly on a kanna. Since the kanna is bedded at 40 degrees, it is necessary (in my experience) to use the chipbreaker on reversing grain wood to avoid tear-out. If you only plane wood with well-behaved grain, the chipbreaker need not be set, or even installed. Otherwise, you will have to learn how to manage the chipbreaker. This will require someone to tell or show you exactly how to do it. You can chip the blade edge using straight trial and error.
A second caution is that these planes are set up a little too tight—they work, but an experienced user would find the tight spots in the bedding with pencil, and scrape or file so the blade only gets tight toward the end of its travel.
I bring out these cautions to point up that if you want and expect a plane to make you happy right out of the box, you should get a Western plane, such as Lee Valley Veritas or Lie Nielsen. All Japanese planes require user set-up, and set-up is not simple or self-evident. If you’re not experienced, you will need instruction, preferably over-the-shoulder, by an experienced user.

The plane holder shown in the photos is soft—redwood—with a rosewood wear strip on the lip, where the planes hang. The holder can be attached to a wall, or, placed wherever is convenient for you.

Any questions or comments, post here or email me at fwhorne@twc.com.

Wiley Horne

Messages In This Thread

Three Mosaku Planes—80mm, 60mm, 48mm
Photo *LINK*
SOLD! Thanks for looking! *NM*
© 1998 - 2017 by Ellis Walentine. All rights reserved.
No parts of this web site may be reproduced in any form or by
any means without the written permission of the publisher.

WOODCENTRAL, P.O. BOX 493, SPRINGTOWN, PA 18081