Turning Archive 2006

Subject:
Give this a critique, I need ideas *PIC*

Ed Kelle
>Originally roughed out last summer as a bowl, after all the chats, I decided to turn it into a hollow form. First real try at that. Finally got the hang of that darn hollowmaster, though it dulls in a few seconds. It is cherry with a walnut lid.

Shapewise, I like the vessel. It is 6"W by 3" high. The opening is large, but since it was not roughed out as a hollow, I couldn't put wood back. But it did make it easier for me to get the hang of hollowing. The top curves into a slight flat, and I wanted it this way. The foot is small at about 1" but I liked the artsy look of it. It does balance well. Hollowed to 3/16".

I am just not sure of the lid. I did a test lid, and found that at 4" diameter it flowed better with the curve of the form. I just had no good ideas what to do with the lid. I like it low, and I didn't want to do a Cindy-like finial. Not that I could anyhow. Any good ideas on what I could do for the lid? I can still make more.

I've been looking at this for days, and went back to touch up a few spots on the form just as we have ben saying, so it is as good as I can do. Even the finish. Deft rubbed down with steel wool to give a natural look.

© 1998 - 2017 by Ellis Walentine. All rights reserved.
No parts of this web site may be reproduced in any form or by
any means without the written permission of the publisher.

WOODCENTRAL, P.O. BOX 493, SPRINGTOWN, PA 18081