Turning Archive 2006

Subject:
Delta Lathe Blues

Steve in NC
>18 months ago when I started turning, I purchased a Delta 14" Iron Bed lathe. ( If I had known about this site before buying it I would have gotten better guidance.) Since first using it, it had a vibration at certain speeds. I tried aligning the pulleys, adding weight and calling tech support with no success. Since it was the only lathe I had used, I assumed that it was just the way lathes were.
(After getting a Jet mini for Christmas I learned how smooth a lathe without vibration can run.)

Anyway, last night, I was finishing up a couple of pieces for my first public showing this weekend. I was using the Delta due to the size of the piece when all of the sudden there was a loud bang and the sound a grinding metal. I took off the belt cover to discover that half the variable pulley on the motor had exploded.

Needing to finish the pieces for the show, I removed the rest of the pulley, and installed a 2" fixed pulley I had in my parts box. I adjusted the other pulley to get proper belt tension and luckily the speed was perfect. The more amazing thing is that the lathe ran with almost no vibration!

So now I am wondering, is it possible to install two stepped pulleys and eliminate the speed control or is it possible that a new pulley will solve the problem. I called tech support but they offered no help and refused to warentee the pulley.

Any thoughts out there.

PS - I set up the show this afternoon in the gallery of our church. Sold three pieces while I was putting it up.

© 1998 - 2017 by Ellis Walentine. All rights reserved.
No parts of this web site may be reproduced in any form or by
any means without the written permission of the publisher.

WOODCENTRAL, P.O. BOX 493, SPRINGTOWN, PA 18081