Turning Archive 2006

Subject:
Help, Problem Sanding Wet Hollow Form

George Van in WI
>Wally said hollow forms are addictive and he is right. Not wanting to wait for my roughed forms to dry I am trying to hollow green and warp for anticipated final shape. When I sanded a hard maple form it went rather well but the sandpaper still plugged a little. I sanded to 600 grit and then hollowed.

Last night I tried a wet spalted white birch blank and the problems surfaced. The paper plugged continuously, I kept a crepe paper cleaner at my side. It seemed the paper (new) was not even cutting. Next the fiber started chipping out. I smoothed that out but then a flat spot. I shear cut the area and more chip out. I applied a heavy coat of Deft and then was able to cut it but realized the form was now wrong so I reshaped the form and tried sanding again. I still had instant plugging of the new sharp sandpaper and it was from the wood, not the Deft. At the end of three hours all I had a sanded to 400 grit form with a hole drilled. The amusing thing, if there is one, is that it is not even that good of a piece of wood. I feel better to learn on this one though than a beautiful chunk of spalted wood!

I have seen in videos where wet forms are sanded and they look great in the video. I understand more hand sanding will be necessary when the form dries but it looked easier to accomplish the majority power sanding, low speed, while still round before hollowing.

What am I doing wrong, or what could I do right?

© 1998 - 2017 by Ellis Walentine. All rights reserved.
No parts of this web site may be reproduced in any form or by
any means without the written permission of the publisher.

WOODCENTRAL, P.O. BOX 493, SPRINGTOWN, PA 18081