Turning Archive 2006

Subject:
Soooo...what next?

David Breth
>I'm enjoying turning enough, and feel after a year that I'm going to stick with it for the long term, that I've found myself willing to part with a few items from other hobbies to grow the turning. That means I'm going to generate $1,000 - $1,500 in the near term. Here are my thoughts (I could use help with #2)

#1 priority: Dust Collector - I've researched several, will probably spend $700-ish here.

#2 priority: Bandsaw - I could use some help here - models, features, be-sure-to-avoid hints. I'm guessing I would use this a couple of times a month. Mostly this would be used to turn square blanks round, and to cut the odd slab in half. I don't think I need tremendous capacity, just a machine with enough substance to do the job without dancing around the shop. can I do something credible for a couple hundred bucks (used or new)?

#3 priority: I told my wife if there is money left over at this point, I'll give her $100 or $150 play money. Basically, I'm going to make sure that happens.

#4 priority: Lathe - I might be able to put a few pennies aside for someday or maybe find something used. I'm using a Fisch (mini-lathe) now. It is ok, not great, and I'm starting to get a little frustrated being restricted to 10" diameter.

#4 alternate priority: save pennies toward a gas chainsaw - I've got a decent electric chainsaw, but I'm tethered to the driveway. Ever since I got the thing all I find is availble wood too big for me to take home to the driveway.

#4 alternate priority: turning classes. I think I've got that covered through some events my turning club is hosting.

Any thoughts are appreciated, especially bandsaw comments - there are zillions out there, and I just don't know what I'm looking at relative to makers, features, capacity, power, etc. I could use some help narrowing the field even just a little bit.

Thanks for reading a 2 a.m. rant for help.

David B.

© 1998 - 2017 by Ellis Walentine. All rights reserved.
No parts of this web site may be reproduced in any form or by
any means without the written permission of the publisher.

WOODCENTRAL, P.O. BOX 493, SPRINGTOWN, PA 18081