Turning Archive 2006

Subject:
Sophie's burl, NE bowls close up pictures *PIC*

Dave Smith, Longview, WA
>No I didn't make off with Sophies's humongous burl. These bowls were turned from a piece that belonged to Becky. Sophie offered it to me and David Propst about 3 1/2 years ago. I didn't know it was Becky's until I had it in my van. Thanks a lot Sophie. Tell Becky I am sending the small bowl to her because the larger ones would take up too much room on her display table. The other two pieces will be in a yard sale at a local designer's gallery starting the first Saturday in February. The larger bowls will be harder to shop lift and bring higher prices also.

What a pain it was to core out the smaller bowls from the bone dry wood. Tear out was very pronounced and, despite a dust collector near by, there was a plume of dust surrounding the lathe. The cutter and dry wood squealed like a stuck pig. What a brilliant idea it was to core out a couple bowls.

Largest bowl is 10" plus in diameter, 4 1/2" at highest, 1/4" thick.
Middle size is about 7 1/2" in diameter, 3 1/2" at highest, 1/8" thick.
Smallest is is about 6 1/2" in diameter, 3" at highest, 1/4" thick

If I get a chance I will take a couple profile pictures and post them on my web site. I think I will have some extra time in early June of 2008.

Dave Smith

We have designer yard sales in Longview, WA.

Messages In This Thread

Sophie's burl, NE bowls close up pictures *PIC*
Thanks Dave!
Re: Sophie's burl, NE bowls close up pictures
Middle bowl *NM* *PIC*
Small bowl *NM* *PIC*
Wow! *NM*
© 1998 - 2017 by Ellis Walentine. All rights reserved.
No parts of this web site may be reproduced in any form or by
any means without the written permission of the publisher.

WOODCENTRAL, P.O. BOX 493, SPRINGTOWN, PA 18081