Turning Archive 2006

Subject:
Big Bubinga Bowl (plate?) pics

Bill Grumbine (Kutztown PA)
>Greetings all

This is probably one of the most stressful pieces I have turned lately, mainly because of the wood. Most of my wood, regardless of figure, species, or whatever, is found wood, firewood really. This piece wasn't. Last month I did a demo on the various lathes offered for sale at our local Woodcraft store. While I was in the store discussing what to turn with the store owner, she points over to a series of blanks sitting on the floor and says, "There, turn one of those." One of "those" was a chunk of bubinga board, 18" square and 3" thick. Since it was highly figured, it was also highly priced, at $175.00 for the chunk.

Enter the stress. Like I said, I turn firewood. I'm not used to wood that costs any more than the effort to get it home and get it processed. But anyway, off I went to the demo, and things went very well, except that I did not get to finish this particular piece. So, I brought it home, and here it languished over the holidays and through a killer cold, until tonight it is ready to see the light of day (so to speak).

Here is a shot of the profile. It finished out at 17 1/2" in diameter and 2 3/4" high. It is pretty uniform in thickness at 1/4" thick. With it being as large as it is and as shallow as it is, I am wondering whether to call it a bowl or a plate. Of course, for the proper alliteration in the title, it had to be a bowl!

Here is a shot of the inside. It is not the best of the figure, but I spun it and spun it and just couldn't get the camera to see what I was seeing. But, if you are in the Allentown PA Woodcraft store you just might get a chance to see it. Just don't look too close. After all, it is a demo bowl. ;-)

Thanks for taking a look.

Bill

© 1998 - 2017 by Ellis Walentine. All rights reserved.
No parts of this web site may be reproduced in any form or by
any means without the written permission of the publisher.

WOODCENTRAL, P.O. BOX 493, SPRINGTOWN, PA 18081