Turning Archive 2006

Subject:
FINALY! It's alive

Kudzu
>Well after several months of just sittin and collecting dust I have the old J-line I bought going tonight. It's a 3 phase motor so I installed the Variable Frequency Drive. Installation was simple (for me anyway). It took a couple of hours but I had a false start. I was going to keep the Mag Switch that was on the lathe because I liked the big stop and start buttons, but turned out the switch was dead. So I had removed it and remounted the VFD and wired it direct to the motor.

Operation is very smooth and any speed you want. I still prefer to use the Reeves drive as the handle is more convenient than the dial on the drive.

I then found this blank I made when I got the lathe. Despite the fact the lathe was sitting in the middle of the floor and that I had to steal a plug off my table saw I HAD to try it out.

Nothing to brag about but I see my idea will work. Now I will spend some time on making some good blanks. But man it felt good to be turning again. First completed turning in 14+ years!

© 1998 - 2017 by Ellis Walentine. All rights reserved.
No parts of this web site may be reproduced in any form or by
any means without the written permission of the publisher.

WOODCENTRAL, P.O. BOX 493, SPRINGTOWN, PA 18081