Turning Archive 2006

Subject:
Spalted Maple Hollowform *PIC*

David Propst
>This 8 x 4.5” hollow form is from a spalted maple crotch piece. It was originally going to have an ebony collar, but I decided the simpler form would be less distracting and allow the nice top figure to be shown to greatest advantage. The form is more squat than I prefer, but again I was trying to show off what I thought was a spectacular piece of wood.

My hollow forms are becoming lighter (thinner) and this is the lightest for the size I have yet turned. The walls are approximately ¼". It was fun to show it to my wife and then hand it to her and see her expression when she felt how light it was. I have a small hollow form of Wally’s that I keep near for inspiration and the lightness has been commented on by everyone I have shown it too.

The piece was sanded to 400 grit, Deft was applied a couple of times and wiped off to seal the wood, next two coats of Velvit Oil were wet sanded on with 400 grit, and then two coats of Tru-Oil. Before, between and after Tru-Oil oil coats it was buffed with Abralon 500-2000.

Please offer your critiques. My turning exchange recipient won’t mind! :-)

Best Regards,

David

© 1998 - 2017 by Ellis Walentine. All rights reserved.
No parts of this web site may be reproduced in any form or by
any means without the written permission of the publisher.

WOODCENTRAL, P.O. BOX 493, SPRINGTOWN, PA 18081