Turning Archive 2006

Subject:
craftsmanship

John Lucas
>This is in response to the threads on skill and craftsmanship. I no longer demonstrate when I sell my work (unless it's at a gallery and they ask me to but that's only happenend once) The reason is that because I have been turning for about 20 years I am quite fast. This comes from a lot of practice. Here's the problem. When customer sees you turn a piece very quickly they want to pay you for that time. In other words they don't want to pay you for the skills that you have developed that allow you to turn that quickly. They want to pay you an "hourly" wage. You have to spend time educating them on why your product is better than the guy down the eisle who makes the same thing in twice the time. Does that make sense, I'm not sure I explained it very well. One of the most common questions is "how long did it take you to make that" It shouldn't matter of course, you price things according to what you can get and sometimes your skill simply lets you make these items faster. My Glass friend has a good response for this question. When asked how long it takes he tell them 18 years and 30 minutes. 18 years to learn how and 30 minutes to actually make it.

Also I have found that even though demonstrating draws a crowd it doesn't alway mean more money or sales. Staying in the booth and working the crowd as they say, seems to work better in terms of actual sales by the end of a show.

has anyone else come to this conclusion.

© 1998 - 2017 by Ellis Walentine. All rights reserved.
No parts of this web site may be reproduced in any form or by
any means without the written permission of the publisher.

WOODCENTRAL, P.O. BOX 493, SPRINGTOWN, PA 18081