Turning Archive 2006

Subject:
Nasal health for woodworkers

Ken Grunke from SW WI
>Russ's mention of his dust allergies (see "Re: Age is relative" under the "Critique the Old Guy" thread) prompts me to mention a good treatment for many nasal problems, and also a preventive measure, that I use on a regular basis--nasal flushing.

Six years ago, I developed a bad case of nasal polyps, which are benign growths inside the nasal passage. Surgery was out of the question for me, being too costly and having no health insurance. My doctor advised against it anyway, saying it wouldn't be a permanent fix as they would likely reoccur. He prescribed Prednisone, along with a steroid nasal spray, which worked OK but was also expensive. I decided to quit the steroid stuff and see if nasal flushing alone would work, and it's done pretty good for me although the polyps tend still to flare up in the winter months when I spend a lot of time indoors.

Anyway, a warm saline solution is poured into one nostril, through the nasal cavity, and out the other nostril. May seem very wierd and uncomfortable if you've never done it, but once tried, it's not bad at all. Here's a website with more info:

http://www.chmkids.org/chm/ent/families/treatments/nasalwash.html

On this site, a syringe or bub irrigator is called for, but most people use a Neti pot, specifically made for the purpose. Just a small, usually ceramic, pot with a long snout--check them out here:

http://www.healingdaily.com/exercise/neti-pot.htm

Like I said above, it's not only a treatment for existing problems, but a great preventive measure for anyone who is exposed to dust and other allergens. If there's any segment of society that could benefit from nasal flushing, it has to be woodworkers--even if you use full protection in the form of respirators, dust collectors, etc. Give it a try, you might like it.

© 1998 - 2017 by Ellis Walentine. All rights reserved.
No parts of this web site may be reproduced in any form or by
any means without the written permission of the publisher.

WOODCENTRAL, P.O. BOX 493, SPRINGTOWN, PA 18081