Turning Archive 2005

Subject:
Turning Exchange piece recieved! *PIC*

Ken Grunke from SW WI
>A very finely finished, and well shaped shallow natural edge bowl of Walnut turned by Jack Savona, of Kennebunkport, Maine came in the mail today, along with a nice note from Jack telling a little about himself and the bowl's creation. The bowl was turned from a tree in Jack's yard that had to come down last spring. Picture at bottom.
Jack used LDD, his preference over DNA for an overnight soak, then finish-turned about a month later. Sanded to 400 grit then 12k micromesh. This bowl has 3 coats of Bush Oil finish, something I've heard good things about but haven't had a chance to try yet. And buffed to a very smooth, semi-gloss surface.
Jack, I like the brass or bronze shavings inlay you used in the knot, and at another spot--a good treatment for these trouble spots, and the brass color goes very well with Walnut.
The rim design is another very nice touch, to make this a special turning. And if that wasn't enough, there was another package! Kind of heavy, what could that be? Would someone I've never met send me a big fruitcake? ;-)
Turns out that Jack had a little project in mind for me! (Sorry, not very good with puns). A bowl blank, of the same Walnut as the bowl, and about the same size! Jack, you must be clairvoyant. Up to just a couple days ago, I wasn't able to turn anything over about 6" diameter until I redid the pulley & belt drive on my lathe, to get a slow enough speed. Yesterday I rough-turned my first 8" bowl blank in about two years, and this one from Jack will be on the lathe very soon as it's bandsawed round, with sealed ends, with centers marked and all ready to go!
Thank you Jack, for the beautiful turned and turning gifts, for the kind words in your note, and for making my collection a little bigger and a lot nicer!
My pic doesn't do the wood grain much justice, it looks much better held in the hand.

Messages In This Thread

Turning Exchange piece recieved! *PIC*
Forgot: the size...
Slower delivery...
© 1998 - 2017 by Ellis Walentine. All rights reserved.
No parts of this web site may be reproduced in any form or by
any means without the written permission of the publisher.

WOODCENTRAL, P.O. BOX 493, SPRINGTOWN, PA 18081