Turning Archive 2005

Subject:
Deacon R.I.P. and his urn *PIC*

Ed Moore
>A good friend from church had a Yorkshire terrior, named Deacon, which died after a long illness. He asked me to make a box to hold Deacon's ashes and I am sure that he envisioned a simple flat box. When I finally settled on what I wanted to do I chose my best piece of ambrosia maple and turned the threaded box shown below. It is 6 1/4" tall and has Deacon's name and dates on the other side. The friend offered to pay for the box, but I choose to give it to him at church tomorrow as a gift.

Several points:
1. I printed what I wanted using my laser printer and traced the lettering on the box. Despite using two pieces of tape to secure the paper and tracing paper I have concluded that it slipped or bowed up due to the contour of the side. The lettering is not good enough for me to show you -- and I am burning because my pyrography did not turn out better. I quit with the lettering and did not dare attempt a drawing of Deacon.
2. I think there is a real market for pet urns. Because I am too tenderhearted about pets I choose not to make them, but there is an opportunity here that could be quite profitable.
3. I have found a different way of calculating for threads that I think is easier than any method I have seen written up. It is based on what I found in Fred Holder's book. The Best Wood Tools threading device worked extremely well.

And the Merriest of Christmases to you all,

Ed Moore

© 1998 - 2017 by Ellis Walentine. All rights reserved.
No parts of this web site may be reproduced in any form or by
any means without the written permission of the publisher.

WOODCENTRAL, P.O. BOX 493, SPRINGTOWN, PA 18081