Turning Archive 2005

Subject:
In January I get to be a yearling.

David Breth
>Almost everything I'm giving for Christmas this year is something I've turned. Still in my first year, but I'm getting on a pretty good learning curve. Much of the learning I've gained through experience, but a lot has come from this site. Some examples of each, mostly lessons from this site, are below:

wet sanding - learned what it is! Didn't go so well on this cup, but it worked very well on subsequent pieces.

bowls/end grain - learned some great tips for smoothing out the end grain on a bowl. Mostly what I've been doing is putting minwax tung oil in there, and then skewing it and/or sanding it off. Kind of a mix of wet sanding and making the grain stand up. Results are much better. Additionally - if you use paste wax to do this, make sure you turn it all back - because it will show in the finished product if you don't.

Sanding - in spite of the seasonal rush, I've developed patience in sanding. I still find flaws later, and I still have a point where I say "that's good enough", but my finished product has improved dramatically.

There is a lesson in every piece - for me anyway. Whether it explodes and I find myself standing in two hours worth of shavings, or it came out well, I can always think of something I wish had gone better, something I might have been more patient with, a sanding scratch that I need to pay more attention to next time, etc.

Hollowing end grain cups - great tips about tool rest placement, drilling to depth before you start, tool selection

Glueing - made a bank. Technically I glued the piece together incorrectly, but it held. Now I know for next time how to handle that.

finishing - used spray lacquer to finish stickpens that had rub-on decorations, and a small box that had rub-on decorations. Learned something very valuable - read the instructions. Just because I think materials are compatible does not mean they are.

planning - plan your sessions, or at least have something in mind that you want to do when you hit the shop door.

Protection - while I am still saving pennies for proper dust collection, I think my favorite aquisition this year is the north 7700 that I bought as a direct result of this site. I started wearing a cannister mask a few years ago when I realized I was getting sinus infections a few times a year that were attributable to sawdust. Didn't realize the harm of the stuff short term or long term. So I woke up, but the mask I had wasn't that good. Still had to clean sawdust out that snuck underneath. No more.

Using a light touch with the tools - It is remarkable how much you can accomplish with a sharp tool barely in contact with the wood in the way of taking out end grain and keeping the piece round.

safety - I realized early on reading on this site that a facemask is essential. I did not fully appreciate the dangers of the lathe until a few people posted their mistakes. I did not realize how easy it is to hurt yourself until I grazed my forearm on a spinning talon and got no pain but a hell of a bruise the next day. I have a lot more respect for the machine, and it takes a conscious effort not to get complacent.

If I keep thinking about this, I'll think of more and more, but I guess what it really amounts to is I want to thank the myriad people who have responded to my many questions this year. This hobby is enjoyable for a number of reasons, and very high on that list is that unlike almost any other hobby I have participated in, the kindred spirit is so giving of time, knowledge, materials, etc. I have not encountered anyone who held back a tip for themselves, or who wouldn't let you borrow a cup of wood if they had it to spare. I'm looking forward to my first anniversary on the lathe in January.

David B.

© 1998 - 2017 by Ellis Walentine. All rights reserved.
No parts of this web site may be reproduced in any form or by
any means without the written permission of the publisher.

WOODCENTRAL, P.O. BOX 493, SPRINGTOWN, PA 18081