Turning Archive 2005

Am I dune this right?

David Breth
>I'm making a coin bank for my son. I've been planning this one in my head for awhile, and so far it is working out ok, but I had a question to determine if I just sealed my fate in the way I did some glueing.

I turned a cylinder (more or less), put tenons on both ends, parted it in half, and hollowed out the middles of the two sections, leaving room for a hole & cork in the bottom and a slot in the top. I didn't get real aggressive with the wall thickness because I didn't want the pieces to hold roundness to the greatest extent, and wanted to allow for errors when I'm turning the final piece. I left the walls at roughly 5/16ish. When I glued, I left the tenon on the side that will have the hole & cork.

To prep for glueing, I used flat surfaces - not a "step" like you would have with a fitted box top, and I trued them quite flat before they came off the lathe. I used Elmers wood glue (yellow glue), running a small bead on both pieces, stuck them together, twisted them together to get good contact (they were adhering well almost immediately and were difficult to twist). I would have clamped it all together had my clamps been big enough, so instead I put a block of cherry on top and then about twenty pounds worth of dumbells. Glue only leaked out on one side a little bit, as I ran the beads closer to the interior than the exterior.

Tonight, I'll finish turn it and that will be that.

So, the questions: Was a "yellow glue" an appropriate choice? Was the use of flat surfaces (a 5/16" wall) good method, or should I have used a stepped arrangement ala a fitted box top? I think the method I used gives more surface area that I can be certain is in contact, but would be interested in your thoughts. This is the first piece I've cut/glued back together.

David B.

© 1998 - 2017 by Ellis Walentine. All rights reserved.
No parts of this web site may be reproduced in any form or by
any means without the written permission of the publisher.