Turning Archive 2005

Subject:
Am I dune this right?

David Breth
>I'm making a coin bank for my son. I've been planning this one in my head for awhile, and so far it is working out ok, but I had a question to determine if I just sealed my fate in the way I did some glueing.

I turned a cylinder (more or less), put tenons on both ends, parted it in half, and hollowed out the middles of the two sections, leaving room for a hole & cork in the bottom and a slot in the top. I didn't get real aggressive with the wall thickness because I didn't want the pieces to hold roundness to the greatest extent, and wanted to allow for errors when I'm turning the final piece. I left the walls at roughly 5/16ish. When I glued, I left the tenon on the side that will have the hole & cork.

To prep for glueing, I used flat surfaces - not a "step" like you would have with a fitted box top, and I trued them quite flat before they came off the lathe. I used Elmers wood glue (yellow glue), running a small bead on both pieces, stuck them together, twisted them together to get good contact (they were adhering well almost immediately and were difficult to twist). I would have clamped it all together had my clamps been big enough, so instead I put a block of cherry on top and then about twenty pounds worth of dumbells. Glue only leaked out on one side a little bit, as I ran the beads closer to the interior than the exterior.

Tonight, I'll finish turn it and that will be that.

So, the questions: Was a "yellow glue" an appropriate choice? Was the use of flat surfaces (a 5/16" wall) good method, or should I have used a stepped arrangement ala a fitted box top? I think the method I used gives more surface area that I can be certain is in contact, but would be interested in your thoughts. This is the first piece I've cut/glued back together.

David B.

© 1998 - 2017 by Ellis Walentine. All rights reserved.
No parts of this web site may be reproduced in any form or by
any means without the written permission of the publisher.

WOODCENTRAL, P.O. BOX 493, SPRINGTOWN, PA 18081