Turning Archive 2005

Subject:
Some bowls I recently made

Eddie Pacheco; San Jose, Ca.
>Last month I took a 2 day turning class in Sebastopol, Ca. and I finally have some turnings to show here. I have an old Atlas spindle lathe which I've "turned" on off and on for the past 5 years. I got wraped up in a home remodel project and later a part-time retirement job that kept me away from the lathe. The remodel is done and I quit the part-time job as it became a fulltime + job. Prior to the class I would start with a decent size piece of wood and an idea in mind and I would end up with a 10th scale version of what I had in mind. On one of my bowls Nancy thought I had turned a knob for a cabinet she was making. That was depressing.
Well last month she treated me to this class as a Christmas gift to me (she's a sweetie) and after a brief layoff for Thanksgiving vacation and to finish a few chores I was able to do some turnings last week. I can honestly say that now when I start with a certain size blank my finished part is close to that size and so far with no launching of the blank from my chuck. And I get real looking shavings now! That is like a super leap of progress on my part.
Anyway, here are the pictures and I would like to say Thank You to you folks here on the turning board. I really have been reading the heck out of your postings and looking at your pictures. And, yeah, you can be sure that I attempted to copy, to the best of my ability, from what I saw here. I hope someday that I can create a piece that someone may want to copy. For now I'll just settle for being able to keep my blank in place from start to finish.

© 1998 - 2017 by Ellis Walentine. All rights reserved.
No parts of this web site may be reproduced in any form or by
any means without the written permission of the publisher.

WOODCENTRAL, P.O. BOX 493, SPRINGTOWN, PA 18081