Turning Archive 2005

Subject:
Hard wood

John Lucas
>I just turned the hardest piece of wood I've ever turned. It was oak. I've turned alot of oak and other woods much harder, Locust, Osage Orange, Pecan. Even with a freshly sharpened gouge I had trouble making light cuts. The tool would just skip off. I could force it to cut but only if I took off a moderate amount of wood. I finally got it shaped pretty close but had some tool marks and tearout. I decided I would sand it. It was so hard it actually dulled the sandpaper. I've never had a wood do that. It wasn't clogging the sandpaper which I though was happening. You could clean the sandpaper and it just would no longer cut. You could feel the difference with your finger. The sandpaper just didn't have an edge. I finally got the darn thing done. I would have thrown it out but it came from a tree that blew down in my Ex's yard and my son and I cut it up. I wanted to save a piece and turn it and give it to her for Christmas. I had rough turned this bowl and it wasn't hard when I rough turned it green but after 6 months drying it is the most dastardly would I have ever turned. Anyone else ever have this happen. I had some barnwood once that would dull a tool when making the first few cuts through the outside layer. I think this was due to sand in the wood. It cut fine after the first few cuts.

© 1998 - 2017 by Ellis Walentine. All rights reserved.
No parts of this web site may be reproduced in any form or by
any means without the written permission of the publisher.

WOODCENTRAL, P.O. BOX 493, SPRINGTOWN, PA 18081