Turning Archive 2005

Subject:
@#%#$ lacquer revisited

David Breth
>My anger issues with lacquer are rekindled. Earlier in the week, I posted about trouble I was having with a spray lacquer can, got some great advice (as per usual on this site), problem resolved and the little stickpens actually look pretty good.

The stickpens had little rub-on decals of roses, and the lacquer worked out just fine with them.

Two days ago I turned a box for my wife. Going away the best fitting box I've ever done (out of the four or five I've ever tried). I put a rub-on decal all the way around it (chickadees, because my wife likes them). Looked really good. 1st coat of spray lacquer. The decal is cracking a bit, and some of the edges have curled over on themselves. Really hacks me off. But, there's a lesson to be learned here, I just need to figure out what it is.

The application method was the same for the pens and the box.

I can not explain why this happened, but if anybody has insight, I would sure like to hear it because I don't want to repeat this. Wood type? (pens were poplar, this was a banister blank somebody gave me that had for pieces of wood glued together) Differences in rub-ons that caused a different reaction with lacquer?

Arrrggghh.

David B.

© 1998 - 2017 by Ellis Walentine. All rights reserved.
No parts of this web site may be reproduced in any form or by
any means without the written permission of the publisher.

WOODCENTRAL, P.O. BOX 493, SPRINGTOWN, PA 18081