Turning Archive 2005

Subject:
Nested bowls... the hard way *PIC*

Ed Kelle
>A friend ordered a set of 3 nested textured bowls, which was a real challenge for me. Especially because I do not have a bowl coring system. I had to do it with 3 different pieces, and knowing how much cherry likes to warp, I had to keep this in mind when I roughed them out. So I gave them about 1" thickness just to be on the safe side, much more than is recommended with the DNA method, but I didn't want to take any chances and end up without enough thickness to texture the rims consistently. And I was down to my last few larger pieces of cherry too. Pressure was on. First large piece.. yup I found a nice knothole and it flew out, so that was not acceptable. (But it did lead to my textured knothole bowl). Tried again and was able to get a them all roughed out no problem. Soaked them for a day and wrapped them and let dry. After a few days I noticed some checking starting to appear on the smaller ones. I REALLY did not want to look at the big one, but luckily that was just fine.

A few weeks later and I started the final turning. The big one went well, got past the few minor checks to good wood with the 1/2" thickness I needed for the rims. Then onto the medium one where it got interesting. Luckily I guesstimated it right when I sized the roughout, so when it was trued up it was a decent size in comparison, and a nice height when sitting inside the larger one. The smaller one was a bugger, has a bunch of checking that I sealed with CA. I went just a hair too low when I made the rim, but otherwise it fits pretty well. This was the first time I used a ruler in my turnings. It is definitely not my style to get math mixed in with turning.

I am happy with the results, but it sure isn't a challenge I need any more in the future. Maybe Santa will bring me a coring system ;)

Bowls head out to their new owner tomorrow. Cash on the barrel, no woodden nickels accepted.

© 1998 - 2017 by Ellis Walentine. All rights reserved.
No parts of this web site may be reproduced in any form or by
any means without the written permission of the publisher.

WOODCENTRAL, P.O. BOX 493, SPRINGTOWN, PA 18081