Turning Archive 2005

Subject:
turning small diameter dowels

Tom Sontag - St. Louis
>This is really a warning that you can expect a gusher of ignorance form this neck of the woods very soon. I have finally put gouge to spinning wood.

I have had a 40's era Delta wood lathe for two years without once installing a motor. Now I have a motor and am willing to be assimilated. A friend kindly showed me a thing or two tonight on his more modern Jet and a tiny tingly feeling entered my brain.

Anyway, the step pulley should arrive any day and I will have all the parts I thought I needed to make wood spin around. My first goal is to simply make some 3/8" dowels out of osage orange for an awesome workbench (another story, to be told on the main board within a couple of weeks I expect). But hammering that pointy mandrel onto my 1/2" square blank just splits it. Do I need a very small chuck or is there a secret to using madrels on small diameters? Like maybe a saw kerf "X" on the end?

Surely I could try that, but I am away from the shop now and really wanted to gloat a tad about the new world opening up before me. I hope to keep some flat work in the repertoire and use the lathe for simple spindle work. But I do have access to awesome wood and I see a big slope in front of me.

I am not much for classroom style learning. What beginner lathe book can tell me about the different cutting tools I got with my used lathe and when and how to use them?

© 1998 - 2017 by Ellis Walentine. All rights reserved.
No parts of this web site may be reproduced in any form or by
any means without the written permission of the publisher.

WOODCENTRAL, P.O. BOX 493, SPRINGTOWN, PA 18081