Turning Archive 2005

Subject:
First Post for Chainsaw Bench Library *PIC*

steve antonucci
>In the turner's resources library...

Attached below is my first contribution to the "new area" that I hope will develop with everyone's help in the Turining Forum at Wood Central. In an effort to create a single resource for other people to research what others do to solve certain issues, I'm going to post my solution, logic and methodolgy for constructing my chainsaw bench.

First, here is a view of the bench that I use to do most of my cutting. It is made from an old 6x6 landscaping tie because that was what I had when I decided to make a bench for chainsawing. It is ridiculously overbuilt for the task it performs, but that's how I tend to do things. Cutting occurs in the middle of the bench, which safely removes any chances of accidentally hitting a screw. The legs are splayed to provide a wide, stable base, since it is quite feasible that I would have a 200# block of wood on the bench for trimming.

I marked a right angle notch in the top of each leg, and I have screwed through the underside and the leg to connect them together. (see picture #2). The bench "feet" were not trimmed to sit level on the ground, but left with a square cut. The point settles into the ground to provide a rock solid point of contact.

The two railroad ties that run the length of the bench (~48") are spaced about 4" apart by upper and lower 2x4 connectors. By spacing the two 6x6's apart, I have a top surface of about 16" wide to lay my blanks on, and the gap allows small cutouts to fall through so they aren't kicked back into my face accidentally.

Picture #3 shows a modification that I made today as a result of cutting some platter stock. I had a large block of spalted maple on it's side, and I had used some wedge shaped cutoffs to prop it up, when it occurred to me that I could add an upright for this task. The block of wood is there to illustratethe vertical cut I would make, and I would still wedge it from the left side, but now there is almost no chance for the blank to flop over.

Next up- tool storage.

Steve

© 1998 - 2017 by Ellis Walentine. All rights reserved.
No parts of this web site may be reproduced in any form or by
any means without the written permission of the publisher.

WOODCENTRAL, P.O. BOX 493, SPRINGTOWN, PA 18081