Turning Archive 2005

Subject:
Blue Pine Box *PIC*

Fog Tanner
>I had never seen one in any of the books or at any of the symposiums, so I decided to see if I could make one (actually two). And I want to know if there was a reason I had never seen a segmented box. I know that someone else has made them before, I had just never seen one. The first two were made of Aromatic Cedar. After glueing up them up, they were a little larger than I had intended, so I went back and came up with some new numbers. This time I elected to use some Blue Pine I had left over from another project. I cut out two and made the first, I loved the look of the first so much I immediately went out and got another log. It was really the next day as I finsihed it around 2 in the morning.

I located some Blue Pine logs outside of Lake Jackson, Texas only 1/4 mile off the main road. But, I am sure that Blue Pine is located in other parts of the country. There were a number of 8 foot logs to pick through, but the only down side was they were all 1.5"x3.5" even though the Lowes sign clearly read 2"x4"x8'. At $2.36 I couldn't complain. That was enough for seven boxes and some spares.

The boxes are all endgrain like any other box. The top and bottom are cut from some "boards" I made by cutting pieces to length and glueing them together to form some "sticks" 26" long. The short segments were then cut endgrain up. That way I could turn the box as I normally do with a skew for the most part.

After making 9-10 of these I found out why Richard Raffan wil never make one. It takes me about 5-6 times longer than one from solid wood. There is a lot of cutting and glueing to get to the point of turning the box. And the tools dull a little quicker due to the glue. But, I think the look is well worth it. I am making some more right now that are all cedar, some that are all pine, some that are cedar and pine, and some that have well over 100 pieces in them. Over all they are a most fun project.

Fog

Messages In This Thread

Blue Pine Box *PIC*
Re: Blue Pine Box
© 1998 - 2017 by Ellis Walentine. All rights reserved.
No parts of this web site may be reproduced in any form or by
any means without the written permission of the publisher.

WOODCENTRAL, P.O. BOX 493, SPRINGTOWN, PA 18081