Turning Archive 2005

Subject:
Between Centers Again

W.C. Turner
>Sometime ago, I posted about starting bowls, between centers, these were smaller bowl blanks, 6 inch diamter, or so.

Recently, I've tried larger blanks between centers, about 15" dia., weighing about 21 pounds. I use a dead blow hammer, off the lathe, to pound the drive center into the blank. When I try to mount the blank on the spindle, invariably, the drive center will pop out, or, I have to re-arrange the blank to be more balanced, blank is hard to hold with only 1 arthritic hand, etc. Then, in order to get the blank mounted, I just crank the tailstock live center in, to hold the blank on. I saw John Jordan do it like this in his "Bowl Turning" video. He even said "It wasn't necessary to pound the drive center into the blank". Although, I don't think the one in the video was 20 pounds.

1) How do ya'll get the spur drive center to stay in the blank without it falling out the first time, & without placing unecessary force on the tailstock?

2) This is about the 3rd. large blank I've tried like this. I've noticed a grinding sound(kinda like the sound of my arthritic joint bones grinding together), appears to be coming from the spindle. I don't think I placed any abnormal stress on the tailstock that would damage the bearings. Does this sound like a bearing problem?

Thanks in advance for any replies.
W.C.

© 1998 - 2017 by Ellis Walentine. All rights reserved.
No parts of this web site may be reproduced in any form or by
any means without the written permission of the publisher.

WOODCENTRAL, P.O. BOX 493, SPRINGTOWN, PA 18081