Turning Archive 2005

Subject:
Hallo and a question about chucks

Gautham
>Hallo - this is my first posting here and I was hoping to get some advice.

I have been turning for a while (mostly spindly things and bowls). I have recently wanted to get into turning boxes. So... I think I need a chuck (cant see a good way to use glue blocks for boxes). I have been looking around on the net for one. My main constraint is cost. OTOH, I dont want to buy something that I will not use. The options I see are:

1) Nova Midi (available at Packard) for about $120, they dont seem to sell inserts for this but I can easily get one - but is there some reason why it should NOT be used with an insert. I read (somewhere) that some chuck dont have inserts. Is this an availability thing, or is there a safety reason for this.

2) Grizzly has a 4-jaw scroll chuck for about $90 - looks like a vicmarc knockoff - but no ideas about quality. Can it be used with and insert?

3) Buy a used metal-working 4jaw self centering chuck - not common but findable and try to make/get made jaws for it- affordable but involves a lot of metal work and may turn out pointless at the end of it. How about the metal working jaws that come with it?

I would really appreciate peoples thoughts about this. While a SuperNova or Oneway would be great, I cant afford one now - and I really want to start doing boxes and stuff for which I really need a chuck.

TIA,
Gautham

© 1998 - 2017 by Ellis Walentine. All rights reserved.
No parts of this web site may be reproduced in any form or by
any means without the written permission of the publisher.

WOODCENTRAL, P.O. BOX 493, SPRINGTOWN, PA 18081