Turning Archive 2005

Subject:
Tall and Skinny Burl Vase

Bill Grumbine (Kutztown PA)
>Greetings all

Over the past week I have been a turnin' fool, spending lots of time on the lathe in preparation for a show. Here is one of the show pieces, which I am happy to say I do not own anymore.

This was a tough one for me on a couple of different levels. It was bone dry, and so it cut hard with the tool wanting to vibrate the whole time. It is also very skinny, at least for me. Overall size is 11 1/4" high, and 6 1/4" wide at the top. The bottom is about 2" in diameter. It is so narrow that SWMBO had to do the final sanding of the finish for me on the inside bottom since my hand would not fit in. Wall thickness is about 3/16". It is finished with Bush Oil, which I was encouraged to buy by the likes of Keith Tompkins and several others up at the Albany symposium. It is quite a bit thicker than the Watco I am used to using, and it seems to dry faster with less odor. I think I am really going to like using it, and may have to see about using up my supply of Watco on something else. As things go, I bought a brand new can of Watco just before leaving for the symposium, since I was very low. Oh well...

Buffed on a Beall wheel, with lots of trepidation.

Thanks for taking a look.

Bill

© 1998 - 2017 by Ellis Walentine. All rights reserved.
No parts of this web site may be reproduced in any form or by
any means without the written permission of the publisher.

WOODCENTRAL, P.O. BOX 493, SPRINGTOWN, PA 18081