Turning Archive 2005

Subject:
Old new Nova DVR (Mild Gloat)

Doug Bartos, Md
>I have been racking my brain for about a year now on what lathe to get. I was going back and forth between the Powermatic and the Jet 1642. I had kind of eliminated the Jet because I really didn't need a 42 inch bed and I hadn't gotten the Powermatic mostly because of the difficulties in getting it into my basement.

I had gone over to the Woodcraft store on a whim last Friday night to look at the Nova DVR that they had there. The price was $1999 so I wasn't really considering it since I could get a Powermatic for just a couple of hundred more. But when they told me that they would give me 30% off including the stand, I couldn't resist. I called to get permission and it was mine. The lathe had never been used, however, it was manufactured back in Oct 2003. The lathe is great. I have had a Fisch mini for the last two years and was satisfied but wanted to do some larger stuff. I can't believe how smooth this lathe is compared to the Fisch. I was also able to get it down into my basement without hiring movers. It came with the Woodcraft stand which I am going to turn into a buffing and grinding station. I turned a 12" walnut bowl from an unbalanced blank that I have had hanging around for a couple of years and it was great. The one thing that I didn't like was the resonation from the metal stand, so I rebuilt the stand that I had set up For the Fisch. It is made out of cinderblocks and wood and have added about 400 pounds of sand. Not real pretty but makes a big difference.

Does anyone know if you can upgrade the firmware on this lathe? The version that I have was released right before they started putting in the programming for the 5 preset speeds and I would really like to have that feature.

Thanks to all of you who have given your pros and cons and opinions on the various lathes out there. WoodCentral has been an invaluable source of ideas and thoughts that have made my turning much more fun and imaginative. I was an agonizing decision but then again that's half the fun.

Doug

© 1998 - 2017 by Ellis Walentine. All rights reserved.
No parts of this web site may be reproduced in any form or by
any means without the written permission of the publisher.

WOODCENTRAL, P.O. BOX 493, SPRINGTOWN, PA 18081