Turning Archive 2005

Subject:
Cleaning up epoxy messes

Brian Hahn in SW Wisconsin
>I was working with epoxy this morning and thought I'd pass along this information about cleaning up epoxy.

Acetone: Many people use acetone and it works reasonably well. But it always evaporates too quickly for me and I'm not particularly fond of the odor. Plus it dries out my skin.

Denatured Alcohol solvent: Works better than acetone for dissolving partially cured epoxy. It doesn't evaporate as quickly, so I can use less to get the mess cleaned up. And it's a lot easier on the skin. I've used it to clean epoxy coated brushes even after the epoxy has set up. BTW, this explains why glue-blocks that are attached with epoxy come off when the bowl is soaked in denatured alcohol. Epoxy can take a week or more to fully cure.

Isopropyl Alcohol: Rubbing alcohol from the first-aid supply section of the drug store or grocery store. Often it is available both as 70% Isopropyl Rubbing Alcohol and as 91% Isopropyl Alcohol. These work even better than denatured alcohol. The price is reasonable and it doubles as a first-aid antiseptic when something else goes wrong.

© 1998 - 2017 by Ellis Walentine. All rights reserved.
No parts of this web site may be reproduced in any form or by
any means without the written permission of the publisher.

WOODCENTRAL, P.O. BOX 493, SPRINGTOWN, PA 18081