Turning Archive 2005

Subject:
More booth design

Keith Tompkins
>I missed Russ's post on selling your work so started a new thread here. To anyone thinking of selling their work, I suggest a visit to a major craft or art venue, such as an American Craft Council event. I like to visit a show previous to making a decision to enter it...just to get a feel for the event.

While enjoying the great variety of artist's work, take time to study their booth layouts as well. The most successful ones will be obvious....they seem to invite the audience to explore the booth space, the work is displayed in a way that highlights the artists talents. Pieces just grouped together on a table don't give potential buyers a good impression of your work. Key pieces displayed on a pedestal with good lighting make a booth display really Pop! and add a professional touch.

While at such an event, the attitude of the artist affects sales tremendously. While it is difficult to stay "up" for days on end, a positive attitude and a sense of enthusiasm really makes a difference between success and failure. I recently watched wholesale buyers, who were attracted to a booth ask..."Which pieces are your most recent work?" The exhibitor replied.."Oh, my stuff is pretty much the same as last year." That was it.....the buyers moved to another booth. A potential sale blown, and the exhibitor had no clue as to why.

How many times have we seen an exhibitor sitting in a far corner reading a book while people browse though their booth? Sometimes they don't even look up to acknowledge your presence! A sign above the booth stating "Keep Out!" would not be as effective at keeping customers away.

I like the displays that make you want to see more of the artist's work. In fact, I know people who keep some pieces out of sight just for this reason. When someone asks "Do you have any more pieces?" out comes a new piece from under the counter. Instant conversation starter....works like a charm.

Messages In This Thread

More booth design
Great tips Keith, Thank you! *NM*
© 1998 - 2017 by Ellis Walentine. All rights reserved.
No parts of this web site may be reproduced in any form or by
any means without the written permission of the publisher.

WOODCENTRAL, P.O. BOX 493, SPRINGTOWN, PA 18081