Turning Archive 2005

Subject:
Home Made Grinding Setup *PIC*

Barry Irby
>Dave asked me to post a picture of this after I described it. So Dave, be carefully what you ask for.

The base is two pieces of 3/4 particle board Cut from "sink cutouts" out of laminated counter top. There is plastic laminate on it and I glue them together back to back to "balance" the construction. I have a buddy in the cabinet business that give the cutouts to me and I have made lots of things out of them. Some of them are very colorful. There is a wood binder strip around the edge. The grinder is a Woodcraft slow speed 8" grinder with the two wheel that came on it. On the right side there is a square steel tube that came form the big blue box or HD centered under the wheel with a little scrap of cherry mounted on it and positioned as described in the instructions for the Ellsworth grinding jig. The jig is sitting in one of the holes int he base. That side will move in and out, but stays locked in place because I use the Ellsworth bowl gouge a lot and like it.

On the left side is another tube centered under the other wheel with a Tee on the end. The tee is set to a width that allows me to grind my skew by setting it in one side for one face and then flipping it and setting it in the other side for the other face. There is a sharp line filed into the square tube at the strap that locks it with the wing nut and labeled "skew". In the center of the Tee are two little blocks that fit the handles of most of my tools. I slide the tube in or out to other lines marked "parting tool" or "roughing gouge" or whatever and set the chisel in the space and touch it to the wheel. also on the left side is one of the original crappy little tool rests that came with the grinder and it is set to the angle I like on my scrapers.

So I can sharpen my Ellsworth Gouge, parting tool, roughing gouge, skews, and scrapers without changing anything except the distance for the Tee on the left side. Incidentally, There is a hole int he front of the base that has a nickle glued in it at just he right depth to set the Ellsworth gouge in the Jig. The nickel prevents me from digging the hole deeper over time.

Notice the two holes in the top of the base, one of them holding the jig for the Ellsworth gouge? There is a tee bar with a rod that is about three feet long (a la the Tormek setup) I can set the long horizontal rod in place and it passes just in front of the wheels. I have little homemade brackets that clip onto plane irons or wood chisels and can sharpen them also.

The grinder was about $90. Mine has 3/4" wheels, but I think they come with 1" wheels now. The rest of the setup is scrap and a few bits from the metal display at the Borg for about ten or fifteen dollars total. Probably did not take much longer to make than it would to install a Wolverine setup.

And yes, it's probably about time to dress the wheels.

© 1998 - 2017 by Ellis Walentine. All rights reserved.
No parts of this web site may be reproduced in any form or by
any means without the written permission of the publisher.

WOODCENTRAL, P.O. BOX 493, SPRINGTOWN, PA 18081