Turning Archive 2005

Subject:
Elm Burl Vase (pics)

Bill Grumbine (Kutztown PA)
>Greetings all

I have been trying to get this piece photographed for over a week now, and finally today I did it. I think having to get it delivered to its new owner had something to do with it. This is an elm burl which has been sitting around for a few years now, and judging by its condition, almost sat too long. It was one of my instant gallery pieces in Albany.

This wood came from a tree about two miles from my house. There is lots more on that tree, but this particular piece came off during a violent thunderstorm. When I stopped to ask the owner for some of the wood, I discovered that it was almost all burl! As you can see, it has some significant spalting going on in it. There were some places where it was downright punky, but I have dealt with punks before. Sharp tools were the order of the day, followed by a judicious application of the 80 grit gouge.

This is a shot of the other side, which shows the eyes better. This is a pretty good sized bowl, 10" high, and 10" across at the top as well. Wall thickness is approximately 3/8". It is finished with Watco Danish Oil and buffed with the Beall system.

If I may brag just a little bit, it was critiqued in the instant gallery by Stuart Batty and Andi Wolfe, and got very high marks. Stuart did suggest that the base could be just a bit smaller, and also suggested that I write my name smaller. That part will be a chore for me, since I have a rather large hand. But overall, they liked the finish, the consistent wall thickness, and no one seemed to see any of the mistakes I was sure they would find.

Thanks for taking a look.

© 1998 - 2017 by Ellis Walentine. All rights reserved.
No parts of this web site may be reproduced in any form or by
any means without the written permission of the publisher.

WOODCENTRAL, P.O. BOX 493, SPRINGTOWN, PA 18081