Turning Archive 2005

Subject:
Watco Danish Oil

David
>I picked up a can of the Natural finish Watco not too long ago, and I'm having some difficulty with it. I'm following (or at least I think I am) the instructions, in that I use a rag to wipe it on, and I don't stop until the whole piece is glistening, then let it sit for 30 minutes. At the end of 30 minutes, there is a small pool in the bottom of the bowl, but the rest is dry. I re-apply more, again until the whole bowl is glistening, then let it site for 15 minutes, then wipe the whole thing off. 24 hours later, repeat.

I've been doing this two, three, four times on a given piece (one white birch, the other some random hardwood from the local pile), and the result is an incredibly dull finish. Like dull to the point where the bare bowl gave off more shimmer. I don't expect a high gloss here, but the wood looks so dead it is incredible.

I'm wondering if the idea is to immerse the bowl for a period of time,(I hope not because I would need a gallon of the stuff), or if it just takes a million coats for the wood to suck it in.

Thanks -

David B.

© 1998 - 2017 by Ellis Walentine. All rights reserved.
No parts of this web site may be reproduced in any form or by
any means without the written permission of the publisher.

WOODCENTRAL, P.O. BOX 493, SPRINGTOWN, PA 18081