Turning Archive 2005

Subject:
Knitting Needles *PIC*

Rick Allen
>Hi

I made a bunch of wands a while back. I showed the wands to a co-worker and she exclaimed how they looked a little like knitting needles. So I asked her about knitting needles. She says she currently is using size 8. Well a size 8 is a 6mm shaft. That is larger than most of my wands so I though this would be easy. About a Turns out that knitting needles are more difficult to make than magic wands. My wands are tapered. I don't much care about the rate of taper, just that the tip is smaller than the handle end. But with knitting needles the shaft needs to be of a consistent diameter. I guess the first few inches could be consistent and the diameter could be smaller after that. Anyway my first try yielded a 5mm shaft. Oops a size 7 knitting needle. The second one broke. The third one was 4mm which is a size 6. I tried one more. Another size 6 well at least I had a pair. I gave up for a few weeks while I tried other things. So this weekend I tried again. First one broke, second one was a size 7 (great now I have two pair) and the last two I managed to make 6mm which is the size 8 I was looking for.

The stops on the knitting needles was another effort. I wanted to make tiny flowers. Fat chance. Instead I decided to make the stops for like needles out of the same material. I needed some way of "displaying" the needles so the tall vase was selected as a good shape. I had some 16/4 Brazilian cherry on hand. Another bad idea. That stuff hollows like concrete. Or at least that is how it worked in my hands. So the hole is primarily drilled with a ship auger.

The stock I was working from for the needles was 14" long and 13" long. I lose about 1/2" to the mounting so the thin needles were 13 1/2". The larger needles were 12 1/2" long. I wanted them all the same length so they are all 12 1/2" long.

I hope the lady likes the needles. It will likely be a while before I make any more. My understanding is that using wood needles feels better than plastic or metal needles. I wonder if the needles will hold up to use for very long.

Thanks

Richard

© 1998 - 2017 by Ellis Walentine. All rights reserved.
No parts of this web site may be reproduced in any form or by
any means without the written permission of the publisher.

WOODCENTRAL, P.O. BOX 493, SPRINGTOWN, PA 18081