Turning Archive 2005

Subject:
Sandpaper *LINK*

Brian McKearney
>I recall seeing various posts over the past year or two regarding sandpaper purchases, and I think someone mentioned that they purchase sandpaper from Industrial Abrasives. Looking at their web site, you can purchase sheets (1 meter X 1 yard) of Rhynogrip Hook & Loop sandpaper for $15.75. At that price, it would appear that one could cut this into approximately 300+ 2" sanding discs (if my math and metric conversion is correct). As compared to some place like Packard (300 2" Hi-Per Gold discs for approximately $60+).

The latest issue of Woodturning magazine (September 2005 issue - from England) has a reader tip that describes making a punch from a 2" hole saw (grind off the teeth and then sharpen the edge).

Does anyone else purchase sanding discs this way, or do you purchase pre-cut discs someplace? Is the sandpaper at Industrial Abrasives any good? If you do purchase your sandpaper in sheets, do you use a punch to cut round discs, or do you just cut it into 2" squares and use it that way?

Brian

© 1998 - 2017 by Ellis Walentine. All rights reserved.
No parts of this web site may be reproduced in any form or by
any means without the written permission of the publisher.

WOODCENTRAL, P.O. BOX 493, SPRINGTOWN, PA 18081