Turning Archive 2005

Subject:
Which Woodmizer?

JKJ in East TN
>I've read some comments on WC from people using bandsaw mills. I'm in the market for a small sawmill for farm and personal use (no lumber production!) I was about to buy a portable Ripsaw but am leaning towards a less portable saw, primarily because of the log capacity. I have a tractor with a loader and I think I can get the logs to and on the saw OK. I do not have the budget or need for a full-featured mill with hydraulics. I will probably set it up in a permanent location behind the barn.

The Ripsaw claims just a 14"x9" throat with a 20" diameter log capacity. This doesn't seem big enough since the trees I want to harvest will generally be larger than 20".

The WoodMizer LT10 claims a 24" diameter log capacity with cuts on cants up to 19.5" wide, manual push, 7.8 hp engine. About $4000.

The WoodMizer LT15 is more expensive, but indicates a 28" diameter log capacity with cuts on cants up to 23" wide, hand crank. 13 or 15 hp engine. About $6000.

Does anyone have experience with either of these? Is the 7.8 hp a serious limitation? Should I look at a brand other than WoodMizer? All advice and experience very much appreciated.

JKJ

© 1998 - 2017 by Ellis Walentine. All rights reserved.
No parts of this web site may be reproduced in any form or by
any means without the written permission of the publisher.

WOODCENTRAL, P.O. BOX 493, SPRINGTOWN, PA 18081