Turning Archive 2005

Subject:
Wood burner preferences?

Dominic Greco in Richboro PA
>Now I can almost see some of your replies already. I ask for your favorite woodburner and your going to tell me:

1. Your stove

2. Sandpaper held against the wood too long

3. or something to that effect...

:>)

LOML has asked me what I want for my birthday (I'll be 42 on 10/10/05). I've been thinking about how much I would like a wood burning tool. Something better than the glorified soldering iron I bought when I first started turning. Primarily, I want something that will allow me to sign my name with more control, and I also want something expandable so that I can experiment with embelishing my work with some pyrography.

In the Lee Valley catalog (BTW, way to go on the catalog Rob! It looks better than last year. And I thought last year's was awesome!), I see the Razortip model #SK that retails for $119. This needs a handpiece with runs an additional $20.50. Total cost (without shipping) is about $141

In the Woodcarver's Supply Inc catalog, I see the Burnmaster Hawk Wood burner that sells for $89.95. A handpiece for this costs $22.95. Total cost (without shipping) is about $113

That's only (2) that I have mentioned here. I know there are other makes and models out there. I'd like to hear from those of you that know about these things. I'm prettty much a neophyte when it come to them. I do know one thing, making one from an old computer power supply is not for me! I stay FAR away from making my own electrical appliances!

Thanks in advance.

See ya around,

Dominic

© 1998 - 2017 by Ellis Walentine. All rights reserved.
No parts of this web site may be reproduced in any form or by
any means without the written permission of the publisher.

WOODCENTRAL, P.O. BOX 493, SPRINGTOWN, PA 18081