Turning Archive 2005

Subject:
Maple Vessel (pics)

Bill Grumbine (Kutztown PA)
>Greetings everyone

It has been a while since I posted any pictures of anything I have turned, mainly because it has been a while since I turned anything that was not a) student related or b) production related. ButI am finally getting some creative time on the lathe. Below is a piece of maple that Dominic of all people should recognize, since he has been working on a chunk of it himself.

This is a chunk of red maple burl from a tree I harvested a year ago. I got three truckloads of this stuff, and my truck, with its 1900 lb payload, was down on the axles almost each time. Now that I am looking closer at the picture, I think I am going to have to retake it since the depth of field seems to be a bit shallow. But anyway...

Here is a shot of it from the other "side". This piece of wood has just about everything maple can have - burl, curl, bug holes and streaks, and just a little bit of spalting. It is approximately 8" in diameter and 5 3/4" high, and hollowed out to a thickness of about 3/16". I thought about doing a Wally wall of 1/8", but those inclusions were starting to make me nervous. I hollowed it with my blasphemous torque arrested laser guided hollowing rig that Randy Privett made for me. You can see pics of it on his site, www.monster-wood-tool.com.

Here's the bottom. I like them rounded (no cracks now!), which I understand is authentic to southwestern shapes. I had to get my big fat hand in the picture to keep it from rolling off the table. It rocks back and forth for a long time when given a shove.

If you are going to Totally Turning, and all goes well, you will be able to see it in person at the instant gallery. Thanks for taking a look.

Bill

© 1998 - 2017 by Ellis Walentine. All rights reserved.
No parts of this web site may be reproduced in any form or by
any means without the written permission of the publisher.

WOODCENTRAL, P.O. BOX 493, SPRINGTOWN, PA 18081