Turning Archive 2005

Subject:
Bandsaw improvement

Mike Schwing from Md.
>Mark's question reminded me that I wanted to share with you a little tweak I made that resulted in quite a performance improvement in my ability to cut large round blanks on my bandsaw.

This past weekend I was rounding a whole lot of blanks (40 maybe), anywhere from 8-18" wide and 2-5" thick. About half way through I had a sudden thought about that little tool I've seen a couple of times for rounding the back side of the bandsaw blade for increased tracking performance. Sounded a bit hokey but I thought I could accomplish the same thing quickly using the dressing stone for my Tormek that I never use.

So I tried it. Just knocked off the back corners of the blade so they met at the rear and created a round surface of sorts.

IT WORKED! It really did make a huge improvement in the ability of the blade to track exactly where I wanted it to go. I was as surprised as anyone, but damned if it didn't immediately improve the saw's performance.

I don't do much else on my saw other than cut round blanks, and this is a simple, easy, and cheap (free) enhancement. Give it a try.

© 1998 - 2017 by Ellis Walentine. All rights reserved.
No parts of this web site may be reproduced in any form or by
any means without the written permission of the publisher.

WOODCENTRAL, P.O. BOX 493, SPRINGTOWN, PA 18081