Turning Archive 2005

Subject:
"Must have" accessories for the lathe.

Bob Dodge
>I'm becoming interested in turning lately, and was wondering what one needs in the way of "must-have accessories", to be well equiped as a "complete" turner(spindles/bowls/hollow-vessels, etc.)

I have virtually no experience with a lathe, but over the years, I've slowly been accumulating chisels(Sorby), a decent chuck(Strong-Hold), and finally a good lathe (2hp General 26020VFD).

I immediately bought the outboard turning bracket for the General, which allows for 24" swing over the bracket. Now I'm looking at a live-center, and was thinking of going with the One-Way. Would that be an improvement over the General's stock center?

For sharpening, I've just bought the Wolverine jig and Vari-Grind attachment, plus the diamond wheel-dresser for my 8" grinder(3450 rpm). I have several grits of white wheels(60/150), as well as various other aluminum-oxide wheels for the grinder. I also have a Tormek.

I'm interested in "steadies" at the moment, and the One-Ways look great. Perhaps a set of Jumbo-Jaws for the chuck. I have various jaw sizes for the Strong-Hold, and the "Wood-Worm". Would a "screw-chuck" be a worthwhile addition? Perhaps a drill-chuck? If so, what size?

I have yet to look at sanding options.

I'd also appreciate any comments regarding the One-Way MasterCut chisels, and the handles for those (17 1/2", or 12"), perhaps a "Martel Hook" too.

Face-plates are another consideration. I have at present, the two face-plates that came with the lathe(4" and 6"??) and several Delta face-plates (6"?). I'd like to make a large sanding disk for the lathe (18"-20") I have no room in the shop for a dedicated disk-sander. I can easily make an accessory sanding-table for mounting to the lathe bed. The sanding disk would probably be several layers of thick MDF with a laminate face, permanently mounted to it's own face-plate. Hopefully, that'll eliminate having to "true-up" the disk each time I re-mount it. The electronic variable speed will be very nice there. Is a 6" face-plate large enough?

I'll definitely be taking a course before tackling the lathe. I have some great books (Raffan/Conover/Darlow, etc) but I find those limited where "tool presentation" is concerned.(two dimensional view)

I realize my post is very "open" and vague, I'm looking for general guidance at this stage, but I would appreciate any words of wisdom you may have, especially where you have found that "perfect" accessory for whatever it is that "YOU" do. Maybe a good 24" tool-rest for turning spindles, or a particular brand or model of hollowing chisel, etc. Something you're "glad" you bought or made.

Thanks, Bob

© 1998 - 2017 by Ellis Walentine. All rights reserved.
No parts of this web site may be reproduced in any form or by
any means without the written permission of the publisher.

WOODCENTRAL, P.O. BOX 493, SPRINGTOWN, PA 18081