Turning Archive 2005

Subject:
The good idea machine was working today *PIC*

Mike Schwing from Md.
>Don't ya LOVE IT when you come up with an idea and it actually works! Especially when it is one that saves you time, time, time and makes your job a whole lot easier?

Granted, this might not be the "purist" way to accomplish this task, but it dawned on me today, in the middle of nowhere, that I could use my drill chuck in my lathe and conjure up a way to hold a 4" Kutzall carbide angle grinder disc. I already use a pneumatic sanding drum that way, why not a grinder disc? So I took the one on my angle grinder off and went to Home Depot, where I found just the right 5/8" hardware for it. Figured I could just hold it in the drill chuck and use the tapered mortise to hold it in. Then I discovered that the drill chuck I have is only good for 1/2" bits. Nuts! No problem, what about my chuck? Hmmm.. don't ya know the little pin chuck jaws I never use work just perfectly! Yippee dippee!

It works just great. Absolutely wonderfully in fact. Much easier to control than I had been concerned about. This literally saves me 60% of my carving/shaping work and the ladle you see in the photo was rough shaped from a bandsawn blank in under 30 minutes. Would have easily taken me 3 hours with my Foredom.

Anyway - hope this can help some of you, too. If not the Kutzall, in some other fashion. The lathe is good for all sorts of things. (I know this was not an original idea but it was for me)

© 1998 - 2017 by Ellis Walentine. All rights reserved.
No parts of this web site may be reproduced in any form or by
any means without the written permission of the publisher.

WOODCENTRAL, P.O. BOX 493, SPRINGTOWN, PA 18081