Turning Archive 2005

Subject:
? for finishing "experts" or just experienced

Mike Schwing from Md.
>Why, oh why?

I've been experimenting again. On my last few spoons I've used Minwax Wipe On Poly (yes I know it is just thinned down regl'r old Poly). I use a sanding sealer and then maybe 6 or 7 coats of wipe on. After the 3rd coat I knock it down with 4/0 wool, then continue till I'm pleased with the build.

I let it sit for a couple of weeks. After that I sand it with abralon, 500, 1000, 2000, 4000, then buff it on all 3 wheels.

The gloss is absolutely amazing. Stunning, completely free from sanding scratches. Gorgeous, proud to have achieved finish right from a wipe on can.

Why can I not achieve this same end result with lacquer without tons more work, expensive spray guns, even more sanding, and buffing? It takes me exponentially more work to get to the same point with lacquer and I grew up in an auto body shop. I've wrapped more power cords up in buffers than I care to recall.

The most amazing thing is complete lack of visible scratch marks. Why? Is the poly softer than the lacquer? Buffing and sanding out more easily?

What are your thoughts on the use of poly vs. lacquer? From what I'm seeing, I may have found a new finishing regimen.

© 1998 - 2017 by Ellis Walentine. All rights reserved.
No parts of this web site may be reproduced in any form or by
any means without the written permission of the publisher.

WOODCENTRAL, P.O. BOX 493, SPRINGTOWN, PA 18081