Turning Archive 2005

Subject:
Home again! Long.

Gary Evans Tallassee, TN
>Got back late yesterday from the Georgia symposium in Helen. Had a great time. Sold a good bit of wood, (and some t-shirts, Ruth!) even though it took a long time to get headed that way (tire trouble.) I think I hauled back more wood than I took down, though. Just couldn't resist those big chunks of Norfolk Island Pine.

Also, Howard Elrod of P&H Woods in Canton, GA gave me two big chunks of Ambrosia Maple and Box Elder. If you have any exotic wood needs, you couldn't buy from a nicer dealer than Howard. He was kind enough to share his room with a guy who never quite got around to making a reservation for the trip. He does snore a little, though. 8^]

It was good to talk to Harvey Meyer. He lurks here a lot and posts occasionally. He had some nice work in the instant gallery, as well as donating a beautiful piece to the auction. If anybody has any pull at the telephone company, perhaps he could be allowed to post pictures of his work more often?

Mark Kauder was also there. I've been watching his work progress over the past few years and continue to be impressed by the quality. It's easy to tell that he has a bigger lathe. When he was turning on his Jet mini, many of his pieces were just scraping the ways. Now he is getting into some much bigger work. He is also commanding well-deserved higher prices. His auction piece went for multi-hundreds of dollars and the finish wasn't even complete yet. He had some segmented turning software with him that looks pretty impressive. I will be looking at it closer as the week progresses.

I heard a lot of good comments about all three major demonstrators, Christian Burchard, Rex Burningham and Don Duden, although I never quite made it to any of the rotations. I'm not sure you can actually make a distinction between the featured demonstrators and the local ones, as the local group included Nick Cook, Dave Barriger, and Philip and Matt Moltroup. An impressive lineup any way you look at it.

The instant gallery, as usual, was wonderful. The tables were loaded with beautiful work from a number of talented turners. In fact, this year I don't think I saw a single piece that was just "so-so."

My "former" friends from Florida, Don Geiger and Ernie Folio, were there selling Don's "Sharpening Solution", as well as his other tools. It was good to see them again, even though FL whupped TN on Sat. night. I guess I will eventually get over it.

By the way, Ruth. Christian Burchard is now wearing one of your t-shirts. You'll need to get him to post on your website about how it improves his turning.

If you get a chance to go to Turning Southern Style next year, I would encourage you to do so. The GAW always puts on a good show and the location can't be beat. It's right in the heart of the North GA mountains near Helen. Helen got beat up a little by the recent tornado, but it is still a beautiful place. A little too much like Gatlinburg for my taste, but that's just me.

Sorry I missed you, TD. I finally rolled in about 5:30 PM after a 7:00 AM start for a 4 hour drive. Also sorry to hear about your brother. Hope things are going well.

That's the news from Lake Wobegon. Looking forward to Albany in October. Hope to see you there. I'll be the short guy in the Talasi Hardwoods booth standing next to Ruth Niles.

Later,
Gary

Messages In This Thread

Home again! Long.
Re: Georgia Symposium ....good review!
Re: Hey Ruth!
© 1998 - 2017 by Ellis Walentine. All rights reserved.
No parts of this web site may be reproduced in any form or by
any means without the written permission of the publisher.

WOODCENTRAL, P.O. BOX 493, SPRINGTOWN, PA 18081