Turning Archive 2005

Subject:
Catches

DD
>I was attemting to clean up the inside sides of a vase (vase was about 5" in dia, 8" high, with a wall thickness of about 1/4" with fairly straight walls), using the side bevel of my bowl gouge. Wood was box elder (or Manitoba maple, as I know it). The gouge has something like an "Ellsworth: profile to it. I was pulling the gouge out towards me cutting with the side bevel (very fine but broad cuts) when I had a horrendous catch, just before the lip of the vase. Pulled the gouge out of my hand and ruined the piece. The tool rest I was using was one of the Robert Sorby rectangular plates that gets inserted into the hollowed out piece to reduce the amount of overhang the tool has when trying cut the inside of a vase, box, etc.

I was definitely rubbing the bevel, but given the force of the catch, it's pretty clear I was doing something wrong and potentially unsafe. Cutting with the side bevel to me is somewhat tricky, but I was surprised at the forces generated by the catch. How should one use a tool rest in conjunction with a bowl gouge side bevel cut?

I was trying this type of cut because when trying to use my scrapers, the finish was quite poor and rough. I was one my final cut when - BANG. I am sure there are many lessons to be learned here, but need some help in making sure I identify the right ones. Any advice appreciated.

Doug D

© 1998 - 2017 by Ellis Walentine. All rights reserved.
No parts of this web site may be reproduced in any form or by
any means without the written permission of the publisher.

WOODCENTRAL, P.O. BOX 493, SPRINGTOWN, PA 18081