Turning Archive 2005

Subject:
More wood booze stuff

Ed Karch in No.VA
>A nice lady called me up and said they had sold their property to developers and would I like some wood. I sawed and hauled 6 truck loads of large cherry, pecan, paulownia,and black walnut. She requested a slab of black walnut for a centerpiece base. This wood was so wet that standing a piece on end would result in a puddle of water draining out of the wood.I cut about a two inch thick slab and soaked in DNA for a week. I pulled it out and bagged it for a week then it started to crack not from the center but half way out toward the edge. I re-dunked it for a couple of days and the cracks closed. It is now bagged again and I will check in a couple of days to see if the cracks open again. I noticed this on bowls, that DNA after cracks would sometimes close the cracks. Has any one else seen this?

Another thought. if spring/summer cut wood has loose bark due to active cambium. would a DNA soak remove enough water to stablize the bark? The walnut slab has intact bark so I will moniter for this also.

Oh yes I gave her bowls of pecan, Paulownia, maple, and one drying in black walnut, so she can have something to remember her trees by.

Ed

Messages In This Thread

More wood booze stuff
Re: More wood booze stuff
Re: More wood booze stuff
© 1998 - 2017 by Ellis Walentine. All rights reserved.
No parts of this web site may be reproduced in any form or by
any means without the written permission of the publisher.

WOODCENTRAL, P.O. BOX 493, SPRINGTOWN, PA 18081