Turning Archive 2005

Subject:
GE reveal bulbs

John Lucas
>After Mike's adventures with the GE Reveal light bulbs I went to the store and bought some along with the Sylvania Daylight bulbs. They look blueish so I thought they might be slightly cooler than the standard bulb. To my surprise they were not. I compared them to a 3200K #1 photo flood. Then shot photos of a Kodak test card on the Tungsten setting of my Nikon D1.

The Reveal bulb measured 2530K. The sylvania 2720K. A standard household bulb measured 2660K and of course the photoflod measured 3200. What this means is according to the meter the Reveal should be warmer or redder than a regular light bulb. The sylvania should be a little bluer but both should be orange on tungsten film.

I guess it's because of the blue filter but neither one of them photographed all that far off. The Photoflood was pretty much on the money but maybe a hair green. Of course I was using the screen on the back of the camera which is close but not dead on. The reveal was a hair red. The sylvania actually gave the best color and the regular bulb was red. Based on my experience with standard quartz worklights whick read 2700K they should all shoot very much the same with slight color differences the same as using 2 different brands of film or 2 different digital cameras.

I have one guess why Mikes photos came out different other than the slight color shift from the lamp. The Reveal bulbs are many times less bright than the quartz lights. This means that ambient light around the room could have more influence on the color. Another possibility is the room color. If the Reveal bulbs weren't in a reflector they would bounce light all over the room, thus changing the color. Anyway, all that doesn't really matter. What matters is getting a good photo and whatever it takes to do it is OK. I don't think the REveal bulb is going to give you any better results, only different results.

© 1998 - 2017 by Ellis Walentine. All rights reserved.
No parts of this web site may be reproduced in any form or by
any means without the written permission of the publisher.

WOODCENTRAL, P.O. BOX 493, SPRINGTOWN, PA 18081