Turning Archive 2005

Subject:
Photography tip? GE "Reveal" bulbs (pics)

Mike Schwing from Md.
>I've been noticing something that I think might be important about my photography. In my small booth/cube, I have been using a different light source than in the larger cube. In the large cube I use 500 watt halogen work lamps. They do a fine job. BUT in the small cube I have been using GE "Reveal" floodlight bulbs in 100 watt size. I can't use them in the large cube because they're not strong enough to light the object in the 36" tent.

I really like those Reveal bulbs and use them throughout the house. Whenever one breaks and my bride replaces them with a standard bulb I am struck by the difference in color rendition, so I thought it would be a good experiment to try photography with them. I've been using them for a while but with each photo I think more and more of them. I simply unscrew them from the ceiling lights in the kitchen and use them in portable reflector units. With the last photo of bug 4 I'm totally convinced.

The photographs taken under those lighting conditions are in my estimation - my best by far. Photos taken in that small cube with the halogens are not nearly as pleasing. I've tried both!

It could be that I'm red/green colorblind, but the pics with those bulbs just look much nicer to me. No comparison really.

The photos below were all taken in a 12" cube with 2 GE Reveal 100 watt floods. The soft, pleasing color rendition just screams "nice" to me. Next time I use this booth I'll take identical pics with both light sources for comparison. Any similar experiences or experiments?

© 1998 - 2017 by Ellis Walentine. All rights reserved.
No parts of this web site may be reproduced in any form or by
any means without the written permission of the publisher.

WOODCENTRAL, P.O. BOX 493, SPRINGTOWN, PA 18081