Turning Archive 2005

Subject:
Can't have too many salad bowl posts.

David
>I showed one of my finished bowls to a lady at work yesterday, probably the sixth bowl I've made ever, and she instantly started hinting around what kind of money would it take to get a set of salad bowls. My first response was that she should find somebody competent to make them for her, then I asked her how many bowls. She says 12. 12. Are you kidding me? Is it harvest time in the fields or something?

Anyway, my questions are not really about the $ end of it. I can figure that out, and I'm sure I'll sell my labor for next to nothing. I've read a bunch of "salad bowl" posts on this site, and a few of the linked articles (the seven "S's"), yet questions remain. I could use some help with:

1) Type of wood - I think for 12 bowls this needs to be a fairly inexpensive wood. Suggestions?
2) Size of the blank - I'm thinking blanks that are 8x8x3 or maybe even 8x8x2 are what I'm after? I'll be working with dry wood, and I'll need to find a good source too I guess.
3) Preferred finishes. I've read enought to think non-glossy oil is the route, but there are about a billion choices. The only used example of a bowl I've seen was gummy and nasty on the inside, and if I can avoid that....
4) Care and feeding - how does my customer take care of the bowls for the long term?

Thanks -

© 1998 - 2017 by Ellis Walentine. All rights reserved.
No parts of this web site may be reproduced in any form or by
any means without the written permission of the publisher.

WOODCENTRAL, P.O. BOX 493, SPRINGTOWN, PA 18081