Turning Archive 2005

Just picked up some lathe chisels

Ned Bulken
>Since I'm joining the world of round work, I knew I was going to need a set of chisels. This evening I picked up a vintage set of Disston-Porter lathe chisels, included are a 1" Skew, 1/2" skew, 1/2" parting tool, 1/2" spear point, 1/4" gouge 1/2" gouge, 1/2" Round Nose and a 3/4" Gouge. Met up with a fellow from over on Woodworking.org, who let me have these for $80, and he freshly sharpened them on his Tormek while we traded wood stories. Oh, and I also got a Stanley #7 which he tuned up. The handles were a little rough, so he threw in a replacement handles kit. He also let me take home a #4 (unknown manufacturer, but brand new and nicely tuned also). I also brought along my little block plane, which he tuned up for me as well. Total for the evening was $150. As an added bonus, he threw in a couple of pieces of 1/2" thick brazilian Cherry (jatoba?) and a couple of salvaged but nice maple cabinet doors with euro hinges.
So how did I do? I have no idea on the chisels, feel comfortable with the whole purchase, and considering that he sharpened them all up tonight on his tormek, I couldn't be happpier. One 'small' problem, now I want a tormek... and he has more planes he's putting up on Ebay...

© 1998 - 2017 by Ellis Walentine. All rights reserved.
No parts of this web site may be reproduced in any form or by
any means without the written permission of the publisher.