Turning Archive 2005

Subject:
Just picked up some lathe chisels

Ned Bulken
>Since I'm joining the world of round work, I knew I was going to need a set of chisels. This evening I picked up a vintage set of Disston-Porter lathe chisels, included are a 1" Skew, 1/2" skew, 1/2" parting tool, 1/2" spear point, 1/4" gouge 1/2" gouge, 1/2" Round Nose and a 3/4" Gouge. Met up with a fellow from over on Woodworking.org, who let me have these for $80, and he freshly sharpened them on his Tormek while we traded wood stories. Oh, and I also got a Stanley #7 which he tuned up. The handles were a little rough, so he threw in a replacement handles kit. He also let me take home a #4 (unknown manufacturer, but brand new and nicely tuned also). I also brought along my little block plane, which he tuned up for me as well. Total for the evening was $150. As an added bonus, he threw in a couple of pieces of 1/2" thick brazilian Cherry (jatoba?) and a couple of salvaged but nice maple cabinet doors with euro hinges.
So how did I do? I have no idea on the chisels, feel comfortable with the whole purchase, and considering that he sharpened them all up tonight on his tormek, I couldn't be happpier. One 'small' problem, now I want a tormek... and he has more planes he's putting up on Ebay...

© 1998 - 2017 by Ellis Walentine. All rights reserved.
No parts of this web site may be reproduced in any form or by
any means without the written permission of the publisher.

WOODCENTRAL, P.O. BOX 493, SPRINGTOWN, PA 18081