Turning Archive 2005

Subject:
*OT* Computer Class *OT*

W.C. Turner
>Hi,

I'm beginning an online computer class, "Tune Up Your PC, Hewlett Packard computers, is putting it on. I hope to learn much needed info.

Anyway, one of the students is very knowledgeable in computers already, & he posts to the class message board helping other students. One of the things he posted was a website, http://www.belarc.com/free_download.html This site, will, after the download tell you all about your computer, your OS, Processor, how much RAM you have, all software, all hardware, version of Windows, just everything about your computer.

I asked him for his email address, so, when the classes have ended, I could email some questions to him if need be. He agreed to exchange email addresses. He asked for some info, about my computer, in order to answer my questions. He also asked if I had downloaded the belarc.com website, & asked if I would send him a copy. I did tell him that I was running Win XP, amt. of Ram, type of processor, & those type of things. I don't think there was any harm in that.? It's very easy to get lulled into letting your guard down online sometimes, especially in this class room setting.
Then I got to thinking, I don't know this guy from Adam, but, he seems nice& helpful to all students on the message board.

I was wondering, if some of you computer knowledgeable folks here on WC (I know a few know about computers, like John K. Jordan, Al Crandell, Jorge Constada, that's answered questions recently) would go to this site & download this & & take a look at the info, and tell me if it would cause me any HARM to send him a copy.? I just don't know enough about computers to know if he could use the info against me or not. Isn't it a dog gone, low down, shame, that you have to think like that nowadays?

What would you do?
Thanks in advance for any help!
W.C.

© 1998 - 2017 by Ellis Walentine. All rights reserved.
No parts of this web site may be reproduced in any form or by
any means without the written permission of the publisher.

WOODCENTRAL, P.O. BOX 493, SPRINGTOWN, PA 18081