Turning Archive 2005

Subject:
Kitchen art *PIC*

Mike Schwing from Md.
>Yes, this did see time on the lathe, but I don't consider it a turning. Just for amusement, I turned out most of the spoon hollow on the lathe.

This was a very pretty piece of silver maple, 15" long, "turned", carved and sanded to 400. Given a coat of Mylands "Antique Mahogany" Wax, rubbed in with 0000 steel wool. I was leary of using the wax but I'm mostly pleased with how it turned out, there are a few spots I didn't sand so well and the wax reveals them quite readily.

While trying to decide on how I wanted to display this, I came up with the idea of putting it on its side. That is how it stands on its own. The idea and getting it there are two totally different things!

The nice thing about these is that you can make them do anything you like, style wise, and they're still a spoon (even if never intended for use). The hard thing about making them curvy is making every single curve appealing on its own without destroying the symmetry with the other curves as well as the overall shape. Every time you think you have one curve down, all you have to do is rotate it to discover that it affects every other one, too.

I absolutely LOVE making these things, and there is a very nice market for them, too. I would love some of your comments, good/bad, "mike, what the heck drugs did you take", whatever. Thanks in advance.

© 1998 - 2017 by Ellis Walentine. All rights reserved.
No parts of this web site may be reproduced in any form or by
any means without the written permission of the publisher.

WOODCENTRAL, P.O. BOX 493, SPRINGTOWN, PA 18081